A stroll by Historical Center will reveal vestiges of time in which Cuiabá, like so many other cities of Brazil, lived the gold fever. The Rua Galdino Pimentel, former Rua de Baixo, the Rua Ricardo Franco, former Rua do Meio, or Rua Pedro Celestino, former Rua de Cima, allows one to have an idea of the original urban aspect.

The Igreja do Rosário e São Benedito, one of the landmarks of the foundation of the city, and the Igreja de Nosso Senhor dos Passos, from 1792, contrast, in their colonial simplicity, with the neo-gothic church of Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Bom Despacho, built in the early twentieth century.

The Palácio de Instrução, from 1914, after being a school for 57 years, has housed many governmental bodies and, today, houses the Biblioteca Pública Estadual, the Museu Histórico de Mato Grosso and the SESC Arsenal cultural center.

And closing the circle, the Museu do Rio Cuiabá, in the building of the extinct Mercado do Peixe, from 1899, the Museu de Arte Sacra de Mato Grosso, on the former site of the Seminário Nossa Senhora da Conceição, and the Museu do Morro da Caixa d’Água Velha, in a small Roman-style aqueduct built in 1882 which, besides the Museu das Águas, houses a Center of culture and leisure.