The old Vila Boa de Goiás was born in 1727 by action of Bartolomeu Bueno da Silva, who sought gold in the region. In 1748, the town became ‘capital’ of the newly created Captaincy of Goiás. Several buildings erected in that time have been preserved and it is at the Historical Center that time travel starts.

You do not need to enter its beautiful museums and churches to feel the atmosphere of the city, which is reflected in the many houses of colonial and imperial periods. However, be sure to visit the churches of São Francisco de Paula (St. Francis of Paula) and de Nossa Senhora do Carmo, the Museu de Arte Sacra, Museu das Bandeiras and the Palácio Conde dos Arcos, former seat of government of the captaincy.

Another must see is the Casa de Cora Coralina, where the poetess was born and lived. The house has been maintained as if Cora still lived there, next to the bridge of the Rio Vermelho (the Red River).